Both Russia and China have made it clear in recent days that not only is military force not an option in taming the rogue hermit kingdom of North Korea, but economic sanctions are also not an option. This will likely embolden Kim Jong-un even further. The sawed-off madman continues to incite, now promising to destroy the United States.
I believe that South Korea and Japan should be taking the lead on this. Together, they combine a military force more than adequate to deal with Kim, with the US playing a supporting role, as necessary.
Russia’s deputy U.N. envoy on Wednesday said military force should not be considered against North Korea and also called for a halt to the deployment of a U.S. missile defense system in South Korea. “The possibility of taking military measures to resolve the problems of the Korean peninsula should be excluded,” said Deputy Russian U.N. Ambassador Vladimir Safronkov, according to Zero Hedge. “We express our support to the idea of North and South Korea engaging in dialogue and consultations.”
“The possibility of taking military measures to resolve the problems of the Korean peninsula should be excluded,” Safronkov said. “We express our support to the idea of North and South Korea engaging in dialogue and consultations.”
Do you think Cubans are fighting for healthcare or freedom from Communism?
He also said that attempts to economically strangle North Korea are “unacceptable” and that sanctions will not resolve the issue, and also called for a halt to the deployment of a U.S. missile defense system in South Korea.
China echoed Russia’s quasi security council veto on any military actions or sanctions, and said military action “must not be an option” and repeated that it urges all sides to exercise restraint and called on the halting of deployment in North Korea. Like Russia, China also called for a halt to the U.S. deployment of an missile defense system in South Korea.
That said, China’s U.N. Ambassador Liu Jieyi on Wednesday concede North Korea’s latest ballistic missile launch was a “flagrant violation” of U.N. resolutions and “unacceptable.”
Earlier on Wednesday, the United States warned it was ready to use force “if we must” to stop North Korea’s nuclear missile program but said it prefers global diplomatic action against Pyongyang for Tuesday’s test launch of an intercontinental ballistic missile.
Meanwhile, responding to what appears to be a preemptive veto by Russia and China, the US said that it was prepared to ignore the UN resolution, and would go “its own path” if needed on North Korea.
- U.S. WILL GO ITS `OWN PATH’ IF NEEDED ON N. KOREA: HALEY
Finally, the White House said on Wednesday it was exploring its options to respond to North Korea’s test-firing of an intercontinental ballistic missile. “I think we’ve been pretty consistent that we’re never going to broadcast any next steps. We’re exploring those options,” White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders told reporters on Air Force One as President Donald Trump flew to Poland.